Monday, October 22, 2007

Jenny Wells, Caritas Australia


Jenny is Group Leader for Humanitarian Response with Caritas Australia and will be a team monitor and facilitator for training during Exercise Khichadi, beginning November 1. She wrote this post before departing for Kathmandu:

I’m really looking forward to actually getting on the plane for Nepal. I love getting out of my Canberra office to work with my colleagues and friends in the field – it brings me back to why I do the work I do and why I love it. While I accept that managing programs from a head office is an important part of the aid and development work that agencies like Caritas are involved in, it is very easy to lose the passion and drive when all day is taken up with administrative and policy work that seems so far removed from the reality of the people we are working with and for.

Many of the Caritas partners I will meet in Nepal I have only ever worked with via email and teleconferences, this will be the first time we actually get to know each other. Additionally, catching up with other friends that I have worked with in different contexts in the past is also wonderful. The fact that we will be working together on a training and simulation instead of meeting in an actual disaster response is an added bonus as for once we will all have time to sit back, relax and enjoy some down time which seldom happens when we are all in the field due to a crisis.

I know there will be lots of hard work and long days, but working together to learn and improve the way we all do business will be a great reward and I think build a stronger foundation for better and more effective collaboration and partnership in the future between us all. It is really humbling and inspiring to work with and alongside such committed and passionate people that are partners, colleagues, and friends - how many other jobs offer this?

1 comment:

Teresa Crawford said...

It is so great to have a face to the names of the folks who will be participating in the exercise. I look forward to reading more about how it all progresses. Great way to use the blog! Good Luck.